Sunday, December 28, 2014

Corn Chowder and BLT

This would be a great first step when going from puree'd baby food to finger foods. It gives them a new texture with lots of familiarity. It also introduces foods like onions and peppers. I had let Munchkin suck on bell pepper strips before so I knew he wasn't allergic to those. Onions were new to him though.

I served this Corn Chowder recipe with BLTs for the adults and children. Munchkin can feed himself thick soups like this chowder but I also feed him if I don't want a mess. So tonight I just made a bowl and fed him myself. However he did get slices of tomato and little bits of bread on his tray and Dad let him suck on a piece of Bacon. Munchkin loved the chowder! It gave him a new texture, as there are whole kernels of corn, but it was still very similar to the puree'd corn I used to make for him.

Corn Chowder

1/2 Yellow Onion, chopped
1/2 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1 clove of Garlic, minced
1 (16 oz) package frozen Baby Gold Corn, thawed
1 (16 oz) package frozen White Corn, thawed
2 cups Milk
1/4 tsp Salt (You can leave this out if you are trying not to feed your baby salt. I didn't really see a
                     difference.)
1/4 tsp Pepper
3/4 cup Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
2 Tbsp Oil or Bacon Grease from BLTs

1. Saute onion, garlic, green and red peppers, and baby gold corn in oil (or bacon grease for added flavor) for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Place white corn and 1 cup of milk in blender. Puree until smooth. Add this mixture to your pan and stir in remaining cup of milk, salt, pepper, and cheese. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts.

Yields 6- 1 cup servings




No comments:

Post a Comment